What are anti-wrinkle treatments (hyaluronic acid-based fillers)?
Hyaluronic acid (HA)-based dermal filler anti-wrinkle treatments are:27
When HA is injected, it acts like an inflated cushion to support your facial structures and tissues that may have lost volume or elasticity due to normal ageing.27
Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are applied to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, restore volumes and contours and create a balanced, natural look. 5,59,102
What are the benefits of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers?
In addition to their effectiveness in smoothing out wrinkles and rejuvenating facial features, Hyaluronic Acid fillers also have the following benefits:5,27,36,59
- Biocompatible and safe
- Allergic reactions are unlikely
- Can be easily removed if necessary
- Minimal patient discomfort and downtime
- Adverse reactions are uncommon
- Results are long-lasting, but not permanent
In which areas are hyaluronic acid dermal fillers used?
Hyaluronic acid fillers are used to treat all areas of the face, which can be divided into upper, middle, and lower face.27,66
- Glabella lines
- Forehead lines
- Crow’s feet
- Under-eye circles
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines
Hyaluronic acid fillers can also be used to treat the neck and décolleté.
What happens during the injection process? 27,31,79,97
During the injection, the practitioner will inject small amounts of an Hyaluronic Acid filler into our face using a very fine needle.
- The injection session is quick, typically lasting between 15-30 minutes, depending on the area treated.
- To help minimise any discomfort, HA fillers may also contain an anaesthetic such as lidocaine.
- Following the injection, your practitioner will massage the area to smooth out any irregularities.
- Ice packs may be used to decrease swelling and pain, but these symptoms typically disappear within 1-2 days.
How long do the results last? 26,31,32,75
Hyaluronic acid treatments are not permanent and usually last between 3-24 months.
Nevertheless, the average duration of treatment depends on several factors: our skin type, the severity of the wrinkle/fold to be corrected, the type of injection and the volume of product injected.
Cosmetic products may also be used to maintain and enhance the effects of the HA dermal filler injections.
Hyaluronic acid mesotherapy
Mesotherapy consists of microinjections of active ingredients, such as Hyaluronic Acid, nutrients and vitamins, just below the surface of our skin (into the superficial dermis to be precise).
Every now and then we all need a boost in some shape or form, and our skin is no exception. Using the same concept as mesotherapy, new treatments known as skin or beauty boosters have recently emerged.