What are the treatment options for expression lines?
Unless we decide never to show any expression again, there’s not much we can do to prevent these lines. Expression lines are treated differently depending on the area of concern.
Crow's feet are usually treated with botulinum toxin, whereas dermal fillers are usually used for nasolabial folds.66
Chemical peels and lasers treatments may also be helpful to improve the quality of the skin in these areas and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.50
Improving skin quality
Achieving an overall better skin quality is also important as during ageing.
Treatments such as mesotherapy or skin/beauty boosters maintain and restore a healthy and youthful texture to our skin, along with increasing hydration to improve our overall skin quality.97,98,100
These treatments are an excellent complement to other non-invasive wrinkle treatments previously mentioned.98,65,48
What are the most common signs of skin ageing in young women?26,50,54,58,60,92
As early as our mid-twenties, we may start noticing the early signs of ageing:
- Our skin will show the first signs of dryness
- Faint creases start to appear on the face, usually across our brows and around our eyes
- The production of collagen may begin to slow and skin elasticity to weaken
- Then those creases start to settle in as full-fledged wrinkles.
Wrinkles do not show immediately, so prevention is often overlooked. However, these signs may differ from person to person, depending on our genes and lifestyle.
Which daily routines help prevent the signs of skin ageing?
Three main factors have been proven to induce skin ageing:52
- Ultraviolet (UV) radiation
To help prevent our skin from ageing prematurely, we should integrate the following important steps into our daily routine:
- Stop or refraining from smoking
- Properly cleanse, tone and moisturise the skin each morning and night
- Minimise ageing around the eyes by using eye creams
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet and drink plenty of water
- Avoid drinking too much coffee
- Consume alcohol in moderation
- Engage in regular physical activity
- Always apply creams and serums in an upward motion
- Massage our face
- Do facial exercises/gymnastics
- Get at least 6-7 hours of sleep daily
- If possible, sleeping on our backs avoids sleep lines, which may turn into permanent wrinkles